Sunday 9 September 2012

The Rabbit Problem by Emily Gravett

C has, apparently "gone off" Beast Quest.  I am more upset about this than I thought I would be.  It's not only because I have series 7 and 8 squirreled away that I bought when they were cheap in The Book People a while ago.  I've got quite fond of Tom and Elenna, and kind of want to know how they manage.  So much so that I might have to redirect from here to Wikipedia and look it up.  I've invested a lot of reading hours in them, and I'm not sure whether I want to give them up that easily.

Anyway, we were required to find a different story for C this evening. I snuck The Rabbit Problem by Emily Gravett in the library bag at the weekend, knowing that it would have been deemed babyish if either child had caught sight of it.   However, predictably, they both loved it this evening.  There are lots of flaps, little bits to read on the side, and clever touches.  It looks like a calendar, even to the point of having a hole on the bottom of each double page.  The illustrations are charming, and there are some bits of humour designed to appeal to the adult reading it (a bit like when they started putting adult jokes in kid's films sometime in the late 1990s (or did I just start noticing them then?  Hmmm).

Anyway, it's basically a book about sex and maths, for the pre-school market.  It's all about the Finobacci sequence.  I am not sure either child got the mathematical reference in any way, shape, or form.  They also, thankfully, didn't notice the reference to a brother and a sister rabbit having babies together.  I'm not sure I'm up for that discussion on a Sunday night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment