Saturday 1 March 2014

The ritual of reading - The Crocodile Who Didn't Like Water

BabyM has a new book. BabyM mainly enjoys books that belonged to his sister and brother, that I haven't had the heart to get rid of.  Classics such as Dear Zoo, Moo, Baa, La, La, La and the Usborne Touch and Feel Fairies book that made A say "oook!" every time she saw the picture of the little snowman on the snow fairies page.

However, when a librarian friend posted a link to The Book People with a picture of the cutest little crocodile I have possibly ever seen, it would have been rude not to. The Crocodile Who Didn't Like Water is an absolutely gorgeous book, with many witty little touches, and hilarious pictures.  BabyM smiled through the whole thing.

Cuter still was the fact that when I sat BabyM on my lap and said "Look! A story!" I noticed C put down his tablet, abandoned Minecraft, and sat down next to me and listened.  He filled in the rhymes at the end of the sentences and laughed along with the story. At the end, he said "OK, can I go back to my tablet now?" I hadn't actually asked him to sit and listen, but it's so ingrained in him that when someone reads a story, you drop what you're doing and engage, that he thought the story was for him too. And he loved it.  Very heartwarming indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment